St. Nicholas Orthodox Church
Church demolition and rebuilt several times. Last - the beginning of XX century. "Person" and all the details of the orthodox (ie officially permitted Nikonian) temple encouraging new trends that are characteristic of church architecture abroad XIX and XX centuries.
A skilful interweaving of ideas Baroque and Art Nouveau, the iconostasis, created not without the influence of the great master of Faberge, doing church work of modern art. This is - as it were expensive gift presented to God and man, the sublime spirituality of it backed up by the earth's beauty.
GP Bahtalovsky found that the first home of the Orthodox in Vilkovo was a small Church of the Intercession "from willow, reeds, clay or silt." It was located on the banks of the Danube, defended by fluxing 370 steps. In 1818, near Zaporizhzhya cemetery was laid the foundation stone for the new church. At about the same place in 1824 there was a wooden chapel (shrines). It was built by the merchant Michael Zarzar.
An old reed church "their miserably excited holy zeal" and, of course, encouraged the "splendor of the church to build a temple." This happened in the beginning of 20-ies. XIX century. It was built a new church and a new place. It was opened "in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (spring)," March 25, 1825. "The church is wooden, sturdy, vyshtukaturennaya lime, indoor shalevkami throne one cold." The church and bell tower were originally zvony.Sleduyuschy stage of existence of temple construction refers to 60-80 years. XIX century., Information about it is almost there.
According to the testimony archival documents stored in Izmail of the Odessa branch of the State Archives, in 1899, grown old, who became a close church collapsed, and in its place has begun construction of a new one. She, like the old, was baptized in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, and consecrated 14 October 1902.
The construction of this temple is mainly conducted on the parishioners. The fence, near the tall poplars, was set pole with a crossbar on which hung a large bell. He called gathering of people to unload bricks, which were carrying barges on the Danube. From the river and up to the construction site people standing "chain", passing bricks to each other. All blacksmith work performed Yevgeny Jere-meevich distort.
Temple consecration Day became wide holiday, he finished lunch, during which the sacrifice, gave the money for the purchase of icons and church plates. Viazovsky Paul, who was then old age, with his son Ivan and a few vilkovchanami visited Kiev, Jerusalem, Constantinople, in Athos shrines. Some of the icons of temple hitherto preserved inscriptions confirming their purchase on Mount Athos. Shroud of the temple gave Vylkove visited the Romanian King Ferdinand; See acquired local merchants and Zarzar Stamati.Hram decorate chandeliers and 12 beautiful brass candlesticks. They are made in the factory Yu Gostunskii Podolsky district, Moscow province in 1902.
In all, there are inscriptions.
It was possible to restore the names of some of the rector of the church. There were prayers and the world: a. Hilarion (Saffron HIV) - he arrived in Vilkovo in 1880; about. Peter (Karpacz) - served from 1930 to the summer of 1944. After the war, ruled on the service. Evdokim about. Ivan, oh. Alex (Mukhin), about. Anatoly (felony), about. Vyacheslav (Gerasimenko). From July 1992 to the present time there is a graduate of the Odessa Theological Seminary on. Basil (Sukach) .22 May 2002 parishioners of St. Nicholas Church with special solemnity celebrated its 100th anniversary. To this day completely restored inside the temple painted, repaired the altar, spent finishing work. None of the Orthodox did not stay on the sidelines, who does what he could to give all possible assistance. This applies to both individuals and enterprises of the city.
Metropolitan of Odessa and Izmail Agafangel, rewarding due diligence rector of St. Nicholas Church of. Basil precious gift - a cross with the original decoration - accompanied the gift with the words: "May the blessing of God claims for the future of our heart and soul, in order that we can build, not destroy."